What Is Loette Contraceptive Pill?
Loette is a combined hormonal contraceptive pill. Loette contraceptive pill contains both estrogen and progestin. Loette is unique to oral contraceptive preparations in that it has low doses of both the hormones. Just like older traditional OCP's (Oral Contraceptive Pills), Loette has a wide variety of applications in women's health disorders.
Loette birth control pill is invaluable in offering contraceptive protection to women with a very tolerable side effect milieu. Despite the lower hormonal strengths present in Loette, it has comparable efficacy to traditional combined pills and offers contraceptive efficacy that is among the best in class.
We also have in stock Yasmin Birth Control Pill which is another combination tablet used for the same indications.
Loette Birth Control Pill – Composition, Packaging and Preparation
Loette birth control pill is manufactured and marketed by 'Wyeth', a division of Pfizer Pharmaceuticals Ltd. It is presented to the consumer in a blister pack that comes in two versions of either 21 tablets (Loette 21)
Each pink active pill contains the synthetic estrogen 'Ethinyl Estradiol' 0.020mg (milligrams) along with the synthetic progestin 'Levonorgestrel' 0.100mg. The dummy pills are white, mainly composed of starch and cellulose and are inert or hormonally inactive.
Loette Birth Control Pill – Active Ingredients
Loette tablet contains two active ingredients.
Ethinyl estradiol is the estrogen present in a low dose of 20 mcg (micrograms) while the progestin contained therein is Levonorgestrel in a quantity of 100mcg.
These doses are marginally lower than standard contraceptives. When taken over a long period of time such as over a month, the value of their low side effect profile is realized.
Manufacturer of Loette Contraceptive Pill
Wyeth a division of Pfizer
Clinical Pharmacology and Method of Action – How does Loette work?
Luteinizing Hormone (LH) and Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) are two brain based hormone chemicals that have targeted actions on the uterus and ovary. FSH progressively prepares the lining of the womb (endometrium) for receiving a pregnant egg or zygote while LH promotes bursting of the ovary in mid cycle to release the egg for fertilization. Exogenously administered Hormones like with the Loette pill, cause an overload of the blood stream and block the release of the above mentioned gonadotrophic hormones FSH and LH.
Upsetting the natural balance of LH and FSH in mid cycle interrupts the normal ovarian function, which in turn intercepts natural ovulation. The endometrial or womb lining gets artificially ripened by the effect of large and constant doses of estrogen-progestin combination afforded by Loette contraceptive pill.
The entry point or mouth of the uterus is known as the cervix. It normally has a secretion plug made of thin mucus. This mucoid plug gets thickened under the influence of Loette birth control pill.
"Withdrawal bleed" is the term given to the artificially induced menstrual flow that occurs on withdrawal or abrupt stoppage of Loette. After having been prepared and made soggy by hormones contained therein, sudden stoppage of Loette as with the completion of a 21 day course brings about shedding of such a uterine lining.
Loette Contraceptive Efficiency
Loette contraceptive pill is reported to have a high efficacy in preventing pregnancy on account of the above actions at various levels of the female genital tract and the central hormonal feedback loop. It has a very low failure rate at 1 to 2 pregnancies per 100 women per year.
Loette Tablet – Clinical Applications and Indications for use
Loette tablet is marketed most importantly for its use as a contraceptive. Effective prevention of pregnancy occurrence is the fundamental application of Loette. Continuous usage with 21 active pills and/or 7 hormone free/placebos ensures timely withdrawal bleeds and almost perfect pregnancy prevention.
When Loette is used on a regular basis, month after month, it results in a state of controlled regulated pattern of monthly withdrawal bleeds. Such a cyclical control of natural menses is very useful in many patterns of irregular menstrual disorders. Dysfunctional menstrual bleeding is kept at bay. Added benefits accrue in terms of reduced menstrual pain or dysmenorrhea.
Associated female genital tract disorders of benign nature such as Pelvic Inflammatory Disorder (PID), benign ovarian cysts, Fibroids, Endometriosis and benign fibrocystic breast disease are ameliorated. In developing countries, Iron deficiency anemia from excessive menstrual blood loss is prevented with use of Loette, thereby indirectly promoting general health and well-being in such situations.
Advantages Of Loette Tablets
The other advantages of Loette tablets are given below:
- Hyper-androgenic States (Acne Treatment): Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) is a protein substance in the blood stream that has a particular binding affinity to the male hormone testosterone and its derivative androgenic or male type hormones. These act in women to produce undesirable virilizing male type effects such as oily skin, excessive facial and truncal hair, acne and other effects like increased insulin resistance and blood sugar levels. With continuous Loette usage, SHBG levels are increased which leads to increased binding of androgens which leaves smaller quantities of androgen hormones to freely circulate in the blood, thereby relieving hyper androgenic problems. Thus Loette tablets play a central role as an accessory therapy in treating Acne, Polycystic Ovarian Disorder and Hirsutism.
- Pre-Menstrual Syndrome: Some women suffer from a group of signs and symptoms during menstruation. These include bloating, breast pain, groin aches, weak limbs, generalized fatigue, headache, mood swings and rarely visual disturbances. Pre -Menstrual Syndrome (PMS) is a broad term used to label such a collection of menstrual problems that present in the 3-4 day period around menses. PMS is repetitive and tends to aggravate with time. Loette is effectively employed thus in the treatment of PMS.
- Cancer Prevention: Certain types of female genital tract cancer such as Ovarian cancer and Endometrial cancer (womb cancer) are prevented with the use of Loette birth control pills for at least 3-4 years. Even after stopping Loette, these prophylactic benefits last for up to 10 years further.
Dose Administration – Method of using Loette Pill
The detailed instructions and Loette dosage for birth control follow:
Loette active pills are taken first. Each active pill is consumed daily without a break at roughly the same time of the day, usually at bedtime.
White placebo pills in the pack, if any, are started only on completion of the active Pink pills.
In women who are starting the pack for the first time, it is advisable to start on the first day of menses. While those who are already on a previous pack should start precisely 7 days after the last active tablet was taken or immediately after the last placebo pill, regardless of the withdrawal bleed.
A pack may be started at any time after a first trimester miscarriage or abortion and after 21 to 28 days after a second trimester termination or miscarriage.
Forgotten or Missed Loette Pills – What to do in case of missed pills
Missing active hormonal pink pills are detrimental to the efficacy of contraception with Loette.
When one or more active Loette pink pills are missed, hormonal levels in the blood stream fall below the desired threshold for ensuring effective protection against pregnancy and this is turns results in failure of the pill. Fortunately remedial measures may be possible in certain scenarios as listed below but may also warrant secondary or additional contraceptive methods.
Missed one pill?
Remember to take the missed pill as soon as possible ideally within 12 hours even if this means taking two pills at the same time the next day.
Missed two pills anytime in the first two weeks?
In this situation she should take two pills, for two consecutive days, after the last defaulting day. The rest of the pack is then continued as usual. But an additional barrier contraceptive like a condom or a diaphragm is necessary for 7 days. This remedy is not applicable when two pills are missed in the third week or when three or more pills are missed.
Missed two pills anytime in the last two weeks?
In these cases it is recommended to discard the current pack and start with a fresh new pack.
Missed pills require special attention toward the end of the cycle for the occurrence of withdrawal bleeding. Medical consultation is mandatory in the absence of the withdrawal bleed so as to rule out the presence of an unwanted pregnancy which could result from contraceptive failure.
Missing Placebo pills in a 28 day type of Loette pack is of no consequence.
Contraindications to the use of Loette Pills
Loette Birth Control Pill should not be used in certain situations. Listed below are disorders and situations that can be life threatening to a women if Loette is concomitantly used in such cases. Loette must not be used by women with following risk factors or in such situations.
- Vascular Issues: Known events of blood clotting or related events or such disorders recent or past including thrombophlebitis & deep vein thrombosis (venous especially legs), cerebrovascular disorders (brain clots), Coronary heart disease, Uncontrolled High blood pressure, Diabetes with vascular involvement and Hereditary thrombophilias or genetic/inherited blood clotting affiliation disorders.
- Gynecological: Undiagnosed Vaginal bleeding, suspected pregnancy, Breast feeding.
- Tumor Related: Suspected Breast cancer, high risk for cervical (neck of the uterus/womb) cancer.
- Gastrointestinal: Jaundice, Pancreatitis with high blood lipids or cholesterol, deranged Liver function tests, chronic liver disease.
- Others: Vascular disorders of the eye, Migraine with aura/premonitory symptoms, undiagnosed headache, Epileptic Seizures.
Side Effects of Loette Pill
Following are the insignificant untoward reactions or side effects that may occur with the use of Loette contraceptive pill.
Minor side effects include vision disturbances, mood swings, altered sex drive or libido, rash, urticaria, vaginal yeast infections, allergy, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, weight changes, headaches and breast congestion. These are usually self-limiting or taken care of by simple treatments.
Breakthrough bleeding is a kind of reddish spotting or very light bleed that occurs while on the active pills, especially during the initial cycles.
It disappears with constant use and may rarely need medical consultation for disturbing heavier bleeds. Amenorrhoea is the absence of the withdrawal bleed which can occur with prolonged usage as a result of blood levels being maintained continuously above the threshold for withdrawal even in pill free periods. It is not permanent and is totally reversible on pill discontinuation.
Adverse Reactions Of Loette Birth Control Pill
The adverse reactions of Loette birth control pills are given below:
- Thrombosis: Blood clotting in arteries and veins throughout the body which can lead to Myocardial Infarctions or heart attacks and brain strokes.
- Cancers: Increased predisposition to Breast Cancer, Cervical (Mouth of the Uterus or Womb) Cancer, Liver Cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma).
- Hepato-biliary Problems: Benign Liver tumors (hepatic adenoma), Gall stones, Gall bladder inflammation, Stasis of bile, Jaundice, Pancreatic inflammation.
- Atherosclerosis: Predisposition to bad cholesterol formation and deposition in blood vessels.
Precautions and Warnings with the use of Loette Tablets
The following precautions must be taken when using Loette birth control tablets:
Loette tablets do not protect against HIV/AIDS and or STI (Sexually Transmitted Infections). Barrier contraception must be used in conjunction with Loette in order to prevent HIV and other sexually transmitted infections.
Loette poses a looming threat to women who smoke. Blood vascular clotting tendencies are higher with smoking and as age advances. Therefore women who are smokers and above 35 years of age are at a significant risk for severe and serious cardiac and/or vascular adverse events while using Loette tablets.
Drug Interactions with Loette Contraceptive Pills
The following agents or drugs or medications increase or hasten the bio degradation of Loette contraceptive pill in the body, thereby reducing its contraceptive efficacy and increase the risk of pregnancy:
These include:-Ritonavir, Rifampicin, Rifabutin, Barbiturates, Primidone, Phenylbutazone, Phenytoin, Dexamethasone, Griseofulvin, Modafinil, Topiramate, Certain Antibiotics Like Ampicillin and Tetracycline, St. John's wort On the other hand, drugs that increase the concentrations of Loette in the blood and thereby predispose to higher side effect profiles include Atorvastatin, vitamin C, Acetaminophen, Indinavir and Fluconazole among others.
Buy Loette Contraceptive Pills Online
You can buy Loette contraceptive pills online from allcontraceptives.com. Loette birth control pills are supplied in a blister pack of 21 tablets.
There are no Shipping restrictions for this product.