What is Meftal Spas Tablet?
Pain relief is often sought for a variety of conditions ranging from the common musculoskeletal pains to migraine throb and menstrual cramps. Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID) have long since offered an alternative to the more potent and addictive opiate based pain ameliorating agents.
The evolution of NSAID's has come a long way since Aspirin was first used in 1899 for treating pain and fever. Sub class after sub class has progressively been discovered in this group and ultimately today, we have the preferential and selective COX-2 (Cyclooxygenase enzyme) inhibitors. Moreover, such NSAID's have been fine-tuned with the addition of other drugs that control spasms for pains pertaining to involuntary organs of the body such as the uterus and female genital tract.
Enter Meftal Spas, a time tested and reliable pain killing combination. Meftal Spas tablet not only controls pain very effectively, but also relaxes bodily spasm which commonly arises from menstruation or intestinal colic.
Meftal Spas Composition – Active Ingredients and Formulation
Meftal Spas is marketed by Blue Cross Laboratories in a blister pack of ten tablets. Each tablet is a combination of the NSAID Mefenamic Acid 250mg and the anti-spasmodic Dicyclomine 10mg (also known as Dicycloverine). This tablet is more well known as Meftal 250 mg.
The Meftal Spas "DS" version that is also marketed has double strengths of the same constituent agents with Mefenamic Acid 500mg and Dicyclomine 20 mg. This tablet is more well known as Meftal 500 mg.
Manufacturer of Meftal Spas Tablets
Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd.
Indications, Applications and Uses – What Is Meftal Spas Used For?
Mefenamic Acid belongs to the sub class of 'Anthranilic Acid Derivative' and is a non selective NSAID. Meftal Spas has efficacious analgesic properties which are put to good use in the following situations- Muscle pains, joint pains, toothaches, menstrual pain and headaches/mild migraine. Below is a list of indications for which the medicine Meftal Spas has been found to be beneficial
Chronic pain disorders:
Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lumbago, Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder and Chronic pelvic pain, Perioperative and postpartum pain control.
Mefenamic Acid proves to be quite an effective antipyretic and is useful to control temperature rise from any cause except heat strokes.
Anti-inflammatory properties of Mefenamic acid are rather weak when compared to other non-selective NSAID's like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac/Aceclofenac. Nevertheless, it does bring about mild degrees of reduction in soft tissue swellings and injuries associated with tooth caries, fractures or minor surgery.
Dicyclomine boosts the analgesic properties of Mefenamic acid by providing spasm relief in cramps and colic from various etiologies especially menstrual pain or dysmenorrhoea, ureteric colic from urinary tract infections, urinary stone problems and intestinal colic in enteritis, colitis or gastroenteritis.
How does Meftal Spas work? – Pharmacodynamics and Mechanism Of Actions
Pain, inflammation and fever in the human body are served through a group of chemicals referred to as inflammatory mediators. Prominent among these are the Prostaglandins -Prostacyclin and Thromboxane A2; other mediators include the various leukotrienes.
Inflammatory prostaglandins are produced from Arachidonic acid through the actions of various enzymes. Cyclooxygenase type 2 or COX - 2 is responsible for the ultimate step in the formation of inflammatory prostaglandins.
Mefenamic Acid blocks all varieties of COX including COX-2 and the consequent production of these prostaglandins. Dicyclomine on the other hand is a an anti-cholinergic agent. Anti Cholinergics affect various bodily functions in different ways. Some of their actions include raising the heart rate (tachycardia), dilatation of the pupil and blurring of vision, intestinal smooth muscle relaxation- constipation, relaxation of the smooth muscles of the urinary bladder/ureter - retention, relaxation of the respiratory passages and marked decrease in bodily secretions namely sweat, saliva, tears and respiratory/bronchial secretions.
Meftal Spas medicine therefore removes pain and relieves spasms. It is particularly tailored to women with pelvic cramps, dysmenorrhea, breast congestion and chronic pelvic pain. Urinary tract spasms and intestinal colic too benefit from it.
Meftal Spas Dosage and Mode of Administration
Often the dose of Meftal Spas is dictated by the severity of the pain. Usually twice daily to thrice a day dosing is effective and in severe cases or where recommended, the DS formulation also referred to as Meftal 500 mg(mentioned above) may be used.
It is of noteworthy mention that Meftal Spas may not be taken on an empty stomach. After meal doses are preferred as it contains NSAID which causes stomach acidity.
Meftal Spas Side Effects and Adverse Drug Reactions
The side effects of Mefenamic acid are dose dependent. With therapeutic doses for short intervals hardly any reactions are known to occur, but longer durations of usage and higher doses can cause severe effects. The list of possible side effects of Meftal Spas medicine is given below:
- Skin Rash, Urticaria, and edema.
- Dizziness and other Central Nervous System manifestations such as drowsiness, visual disturbances and convulsions with very high doses are known.
- Acidity, Gastritis, Epigastric discomfort or distress is noted but gut bleeding is not significant.
- Diarrhea is the most important dose related side effect. Other gastro -intestinal side effects include nausea and constipation. Hypertension, tachycardia, syncope.
- Bronchospasm, Pulmonary edema.
- Aplastic anemia, Agranulocytosis and Thrombocytopenia.
- Auto-immune Hemolytic anemia is a rare but serious complication.
- Deranged Liver Enzymes and abnormal renal function.
Reactions to Dicyclomine
The following are reactions to Dicyclomine:
Restlessness, confusion, excitement, hallucination and delirium.
Vision disturbances such as difficulty in accommodation or focusing and exacerbation of glaucoma, Palpitations, tachycardia, arrhythmias and Urinary retention.
Contraindications and Precautions with Use of Meftal Spas Tablets
Meftal spas is not to be used in the following situations and care must be taken to avoid its use these conditions such that your doctors' advice is necessary when suffering from the following:
- Hepatic or renal disease/impairment
- Drowsiness may affect ability to perform coordinated/ skilled tasks or to drive.
- Urinary retention, Paralytic ileus.
- Hyperthyroidism, Hypertension, Congestive heart failure, Cardiac arrhythmias, Coronary bypass graft surgery. Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Special precautions and consideration is warranted for the following individuals or physiological states
- Avoid use Neonates and children due to risks of respiratory depression and/or failure.
- Meftal Spas during Pregnancy and Lactation: Meftal Spas (Mefenamic Acid) is classified as US FDA CLASS "C" in first two trimesters of pregnancy (Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus) and as CLASS "D" in the third trimester. While for Dicyclomine it is CLASS "C" through all trimesters of pregnancy.
Drug Interactions with Meftal Spas Tablets
Listed below are some of the important drug interactions of Meftal Spas tablets
- Concomitant administration with Aspirin has synergistic effects with a potential to worsen the side effect profile of either drug.
- Mefenamic acid diminishes the anti-hypertensive effects of ACE inhibitors.
- Mefenamic Acid elevates Lithium levels in blood and increases Methotrexate toxicity.
- Lowering of sodium excretory effect of diuretics such as furosemide and thiazides is notable in some patients.
- The risk of Gut bleeding is higher when Mefenamic acid is combined with warfarin, than with the use of these drugs alone or singly.
- Dicyclomine's absorption is reduced in the presence of antacids, while it can itself interfere in the absorption of slowly dissolving forms of drugs like Digoxin, wherein abnormally high levels of the drug can result.
- It can antagonize the effects of gut motility agents like metoclopramide and anti glaucoma drugs.
Buy Meftal Spas 250 mg and 500 mg Tablets Online
You can buy Meftal Spas 250 mg and 500 mg tablets online at a low price from allcontraceptives.com.
There are no Shipping restrictions for this product.