What Is Yaz Birth Control Pill?
Yaz birth control pill is a combined oral contraceptive pill. In addition to preventing conception and pregnancy, it has benefits in varied disorders of women's health.
The term 'Combined Pill' infers the dual presence of an Estrogen and a Progestin which are fundamental sex hormones that control fertility and menstruation.
We also have in stock Yasmin Birth Control Pill which is another combination tablet used for the same indications.
Yaz Ingredients, Availability And Presentation
Yaz ingredients consists of two main components. The estrogenic component of YAZ is Ethinyl Estradiol while the progestin contained is Drospirenone. Yaz is marketed by ‘Bayer Schering Pharma’ as a blister pack of 28 tablets.
24 of these are the active tablets that contain Ethinyl Estradiol and Drospirenone. These active tablets are light pink in color. The remaining 4 tablets are white in color and are inert in that they exert no hormonal action on the body and are added as reminders to complete a 28 schedule that mimics the natural menstrual cycle in most normal women. The back of the blister pack marks the rows of pills with directional arrows and the days of the week so as to facilitate easy dosing without missing a pill.
Manufacturer of Yaz Contraceptive Pill
Marketed by Bayer Schering Pharma
Yaz Birth Control Pill Contents
Each light pink active pill contains Ethinyl Estradiol 0.02mg and Drospirenone 3mg. Each white inactive or dummy pill has inert substances including corn starch.
Yaz Instructions And Dosage – How to start
Yaz is effective after 7 days of starting the first pack. The detailed instructions and Yaz dosage for birth control follow:
- The 24 pink active Yaz tablets must be completed first, followed by the 4 white dummy tablets.
- It is recommended to start the first pack on the first day of the menstrual period.
- It is preferable to take the pill at around the same time daily. This is usually at bedtime or after dinner.
- Starting the pack later than the first day of menses warrants additional protection in the form of barrier contraception such as condoms or a diaphragm for 7 days to ensure complete safety.
- On finishing the first pack of 28 tablets, menses will occur. In most women, such bleeding usually commences anywhere between 2-4 days after having completed the 24 active pills and is known as the 'withdrawal bleed'. It is a kind of artificially induced menses on account of the hormones in the 24 active pills. The white inert tablets may be ongoing or may have just been completed.
- The second or next pack of Yaz pills is to be commenced immediately after finishing the 28 tablets in the first pack regardless of the onset or duration of the withdrawal bleeding.
- There may be minor light bleeding or spotting while the active pills are ongoing; this type of bleeding is common with all contraceptive hormone pills and is called as 'Breakthrough' bleeding. One should not stop taking the pills in such a situation because it usually reduces and stops in a few days.
Yaz Missed Pill Instructions – What to do in case of missed pills
Missed pills pose a threat in that the drug levels in your blood fall and the ability of Yaz pills to provide contraceptive protection is reduced.
Missed one pill?
Take it as soon as you remember plus you'll have to take the next day's pill too at its scheduled time. This may mean having to take two pills in one day. Thereafter the rest of the pack is continued as usual.
Missed two pills anytime in the first two weeks?
Take two pills on the day you remember and two pills on the day after as well. Additional protection in the form of barrier contraception such as condoms or a diaphragm is required for 7 days. The rest of the pack is then continued as usual.
Missed two pills anytime in the last two weeks?
Discontinue the current pack of pills and start afresh with a new pack with additional barrier protection for 7 days.
Missed three or more pills?
Stop this pack of pills and start with a brand new pack but remember to use additional barrier protection for 7 days.
In the event of missed pills especially two or more you may not get your periods as expected, but you should get it after the second packet is completed. In any case, in the event of having missed two consecutive periods you must consult your doctor.
Clinical Pharmacology – How does Yaz work?
The combined actions of ethinyl estradiol and drospirenone prevent conception in numerous ways of which the inhibition of egg release or ovulation is the most important factor.
FSH and LH are vital hormones produced in the brain that act on the ovary and uterus. FSH is responsible for progressive growth of the egg, while LH plays a pivotal role in ovulation by bursting the ovary (with a mid-cycle surge in its levels) to release the egg.
Ethinyl estradiol inhibits FSH while drospirenone retards LH and in unison they ultimately block ovulation. YAZ acts on the uterine lining to make it soggy and soft and moreover it shrinks up the uterine wall glands. This action further prevents the implantation of a pregnancy that may have occurred from any escaped egg.
Lastly Yaz can block sperm entry into the uterus. It facilitates a viscous thickening of the secretions at the narrow uterine mouth or cervix. This part of the uterus is like a bottle neck and under the influence of ethinyl estradiol and drospirenone sperm transport is plugged here.
Yaz Indications – The clinical uses of Yaz
The foremost application of Yaz is as a contraceptive or birth control pill. It is an easy method of contraception to use, does not affect foreplay, is simple to obtain, store or carry and above has no effect on future fertility when stopped. Efficacy in preventing pregnancy is very high with correct and consistent use and failure rates are reported approximately as low as 1 to 2 per 100 women per year.
Yaz For Treatment of Acne Vulgaris:
Ethinyl Estradiol in Yaz indirectly lowers the amount of freely circulating testosterone in the blood. This hormone albeit a masculinizing hormone is nevertheless found in small amounts in women and its reduction pacifies acne vulgaris or pimples. Moreover excessive hair growth or hirsutism in females can be controlled too.
Yaz for treatment Of PMS (Pre Menstrual Syndrome):
Drospirenone component of Yaz has potent anti-mineralocorticoid properties. This activity simply means Yaz can reduce water retention and engorgement of tissues particularly the breast and pelvic regions whereby symptoms of Pre Menstrual Syndrome such as breast fullness or pain and pelvic cramps are alleviated.
Advantages Of Yaz - Other helpful applications
Combined contraceptives provide benefits in other areas of women's health such as:-
Menstrual Cycle Stabilization:
Cycle Stabilization occurs due to controlled menses produced each month as withdrawal bleeding. This aids in treatment of disturbed menstrual cycles with respect to less pain and less blood loss.
Longer durations of usage lowers the risk for Ovarian cancer by about 40% and that of Endometrial (Uterine wall) Cancer by 50% with benefits lasting for 10 to 15 years after having stopped the pill.
The risk of suffering from certain women's health problems such as Pelvic infections, Breast Cysts and Uterine Fibroids are reduced too.
Side Effects of Yaz Pills
These are minor unwanted reactions that occur with the use of combined contraceptives such as Yaz birth bontrol pill. The possible side effects are temporary and often easily managed.
- Nausea, lack of appetite, abdominal cramps, bloating and rarely vomiting.
- Break-through bleeding that occurs while taking the active pills (mentioned earlier) often settles with continuous use.
- Scanty menses: With consistent use, the monthly withdrawal bleeds keep on reducing on account of the effect of ethinyl estradiol on the uterine wall glands. These shrink with time and the wall lining or endometrium itself regresses. But this is reversible once the pill is stopped.
- Cessation of menses is another rare problem with consistent and prolonged users. This is known as amenorrhoea and is completely reversible on discontinuing contraception.
- Breast changes in terms of congestion and heaviness may occur. With continued use this problem ameliorates.
- White vaginal discharge or Leucorrhoea.
- Vaginal Yeast/fungal infection.
- Changes in appetite and weight (loss or gain) may be seen.
- Darkening of the facial skin.
- Hair loss.
- Sudden changes in the emotional state or mood swings or depression
- Changes in the sex drive or libido
- Inability to sleep, nervousness.
- Allergy, Rash.
- Fatigue and fever.
Adverse Effects Of Yaz Birth Control Pill
Heart Disease and Vascular complications:
The risks of Heart Attacks, rise in blood pressure, Brain Strokes and blood clots (venous thromboembolism) is higher in women who smoke, have previous blood pressure or heart problems and/or have a history of blood clotting episodes or disorders. These problems are more above the age of 35 years. Drospirenone particularly predisposes to an increased risk of venous thromboembolism among other progestins.
There is a small but definite increased risk of developing breast cancer which tends to reduce gradually over the number of pill free years, which disappears at 10 years of discontinuation. Some studies have reported an increased risk for Cervical cancer although this may not be directly attributable to the pill, but to factors such as sexually transmitted infections which are higher in pill users for various reasons. Liver tumors are very rarely seen but there is an increased risk. Gall stones, Jaundice and Gall bladder diseases are reported.
Yaz Contraindications And Warnings
Yaz Birth Control Pill should not be used in these situations
- Women with Blood clots in the legs, lungs, thrombophlebitis (inflammation or swelling of the veins), stroke, heart attack, diseases of the heart valves and inherited blood clotting disorders.
- High blood pressure, diabetes, high blood cholesterol or triglyceride levels.
- Smokers especially those over 35 in age.
- Women who suffer from Migraine headaches.
- Undiagnosed Jaundice, Liver tumors or cancer.
- Undiagnosed or suspected Breast or Cervical cancer.
- Yaz is contraindicated in all a cases of undiagnosed vaginal bleeding.
- Allergy to its active ingredients ethinyl estradiol and drospirenone.
- Chronic diseases such as Liver, Kidney or Adrenal disease.
The following precautions must be taken when using Yaz birth control pill:
Yaz does not offer protection against sexually transmitted diseases or HIV and hence while on the pill, barrier contraceptives must be used to guard against these.
Yaz will not harm any inadvertent pregnancy if it occurs while on contraception, but must be stopped immediately if wanting to continue the pregnancy.
Yaz affects lactation by reducing the amount of breast milk produced and alternative contraception methods must be sought during breast feeding.
Important drugs that reduce the effectiveness of oral contraceptives include the following:
Antibiotics: Rifampicin (used in tuberculosis), Ampicillin, Metronidazole (Vaginal infection, loose motions) and Nitrofurantoin (urinary infection) among others.
Anticonvulsants: Carbamazepine (Tegretal), Phenytoin (Dilantin), Lamotrigin (Lamictal), Phenobarbitone (Gardenal)
Cholesterol Lowering agent: Clofibrate.
Buy Yaz Birth Control Pills Online for Only $0.75
You can buy Yaz birth control pills online from allcontraceptives.com. Yaz birth control pills are supplied in a blister pack of 28 tablets containing 24 pink active Yaz tablets and 4 white dummy tablets. Yaz pills are available for only 0.75 a pill when you place an order for 280 tablets.
There are no Shipping restrictions for this product.