What is Depot Provera ?
The first generation synthetic progestin ‘Medroxyprogesterone’ has been marketed for many decades in this injectable form. It is a preparation that provides contraception for a long term of 12 weeks with just one injection. We also have in stock Implanon Birth Control Implant which provides contraception for a long term of three years.
Depot Provera shot is the most effective reversible contraceptive, with failure rates lower than those of the IUCD and the combined pill. It’s injudicious and sometimes off label injection, coupled with usage as a mass contraceptive for women in impoverished socio-economic settings, has led to its disrepute and a misconstrued focus on its side effects and risks rather than its benefits. It does have a few other excellent additional applications in the treatment of Endometriosis and breast cancer.
Manufactured by Pfizer in Belgium.
Clinical Dynamics – How does Depot Provera work?
When used in this depot suspension form, Depot Provera shot has long term effects progestin administration effects.
Suppression of ovulation is the prominent and primary role of Depot Provera birth control shot. MPA (Medroxyprogesterone Acetate) in the blood stream suppresses LH and FSH hormones of the brain. This, in turn, results in a prevention of the successive maturation of follicles in the ovary, ultimately leading to no ovulation, cycle after cycle.
The womb lining or endometrium is also made soggy or decidualized and unfriendly to receive an impregnated egg if any. The mucus at the Cervix or mouth of the womb becomes viscous and impenetrable by sperms.
It's Anti-Cancer role is explained by suppression of the central - peripheral or hypothalamic- pituitary- tissue axis of interaction. In other words, MPA totally suppresses natural or endogenous hormonal production such as that of estrogen, consequently protecting tumors from its proliferative effects.
Availability And Presentation
Depot Provera birth control shot is commonly available as a 150mg/ml vial of 1ml. The active ingredient present in Depot Provera shot is Medroxyprogesterone Acetate which is present in the vial as an aqueous suspension of a white powder. A disposable syringe bearing a wide bore needle is provided in the package.
It was the originally researched and marketed by Upjohn Pharmacia but has since been acquired by Pfizer Pharmaceuticals International.
Manufacturer of Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection
Pfizer (Manufactured in Belgium)
Administration And Dosing
Depot Provera contraceptive injection is meant for deep intramuscular injection ensuring that the complete suspension is withdrawn without any remaining in the vial.
Prior agitation or vigorous shaking of the vial is valuable to thoroughly mix up the drug in the suspension facilitating easy withdrawal and maximum availability. It is preferably injected into the buttock, deltoid or arm is acceptable but it is not meant for subcutaneous use.
Depo Provera Uses
Depo Provera (Medroxyprogesterone Acetate) provides long term contraception. Besides this it is also used in the treatment of Endometriosis and breast cancer. Contraception
The first or initial injection is given anytime during the first five days of menses.
It can be used postpartum within 5 days if not breast feeding or at 6 weeks postpartum (after excluding pregnancy) when exclusively breast feeding.
The injection is repeated at precisely 90 day intervals and may be given a few days earlier but not later. It is not recommended to use it for more than 1 to 2 years because of the hazards of long term adverse effects.
It is administered in smaller doses of 50 to 100mg given at weekly to fortnightly respectively in a continuous manner for at least 6 months.
It is not the primary treatment for breast cancer and is used as part of the milieu of hormone therapy for progestin receptive cases, with recurrence, in postmenopausal women. Doses of 500mg to 1gm are used daily for the first 28 days followed by a maintenance schedule of 500mg twice weekly. Treatment responses take time and any adverse changes or progression in the cancer warrant immediate stoppage of Depot Provera.
Endometrial / Renal Cancer:
It is used in these cancers as an adjunctive or palliative therapy for advanced inoperable cases and for those with recurrence or metastasis. 500mg to 1gm are recommended initially and based on improvements the dose is reduced.
Depo Provera Effectiveness – Contraceptive Advantages
The effectiveness and advantages of Depo Provera Contraceptive Shot is given below:
- Depo Provera Shot is convenient since it involves just one injection every 90 days.
- Culturally acceptable in those parts of the world where the belief exists that, injections are superior to pills.
- Creation of a state of near total amenorrhea.
- Absent periods for longer durations is advantageous in preventing Iron deficiency anemia.
- Sickling of red blood cells is reduced and is ideal as a contraceptive for women who suffer from sickle cell anemia or disease.
- Ideal contraceptive for nursing mothers as MPA does not affect the quantity or quality of breast milk or the infant's health.
- Extremely effective and superior in preventing pregnancy when compared to contraceptive leaders such as the IUD or the combined pill.
- Attending complications of menstruation such as painful cramps or dysmenorrhea and heavy menstrual blood loss or menorrhagia are inherently avoided.
- It affords cancer protection against Endometrial (womb lining) malignancies.
Depo Provera Shot Side Effects
The possible side effects of Depo Provera Shot are given below:
Irregular Bleeding:Unexpected irregular vaginal bleeding anytime during use of Depot Provera is common after the first injection. Such may range from minor spotting to rarely excessive flow. It reduces with continuous injections of Depot Provera and with time there is a shift toward amenorrhea. Medical consult and therapy with low dose estrogens such as ethinyl estradiol or conjugated estrogens is necessary in women who are disturbed by it.
Loss of Bone Mineral Density (BMD):Estrogen is vital to maintaining bone density. Complete suppression of hypothalamic-Pituitary- Ovarian hormonal axis by Depot Provera leads to total suppression of estrogen production in the female body. Low estrogen further causes osteoporosis or brittle bones with loss of critical bone mass. This effect is noticed with prolonged use of 2years or more in premenopausal women. It is substantially reversible. Use in younger women may predispose to weaker bones later on in life. Women with risk factors for osteoporosis such as low BMI from eating disorders, corticosteroid or anti convulsants therapy, family history, metabolic bone disease and alcohol/tobacco users, are at a greater risk for bone loss.
Carcinogenic Effects: It is well known that DMPA confers protection against endometrial cancer for up to 8 years after discontinuation. Studies and clinical trials have conclusively demonstrated no risk of epithelial ovarian cancer, Liver cancer or squamous cell cancer of the cervix with Depot Provera usage. There is no statistically significant increased risk in rates of breast cancer but there are reports of a slight increased risk in younger women under 35 years of age within 4 years of earlier exposure. This risk rises in women under 25 years of age with more than 2 years of use.
Weight Gain:There is tendency to weight gain which is proportional to the duration of use. It was observed to have ranged through 2, 4 and 6 Kg for 1, 2 and 4 years of use respectively.
Effects on Diabetes: In some users, Depot Provera for unclear reasons propels the blood sugar levels upwards by a reduction of glucose tolerance.
Temporary Infertility:A delay in resumption of fertility is noted on discontinuation of Depot Provera. The median time to pregnancy is 10 months after stopping use.
Teratogenic Implications:Although a causal or directly attributable relationship is not demonstrated, there are reports of polysyndactyly (webbing of fingers or toes), chromosomal anomalies, hypospadias of the male fetus, virilization of the external genitalia of female fetuses and low birth weight babies being born to women who inadvertently get pregnant while on Depot Provera.
The other side effects of Depo Provera contraceptive injection are as follows:
- Abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea.
- Nausea, vomiting, disturbed liver functions, jaundice.
- White vaginal discharge, pelvic pain, vaginal infections, cervical erosions.
- Adrenergic effects - sweating, fine tremors, calf cramping
- Increased blood pressure, blood clotting tendency, heart attacks, brain strokes, palpitations.
- Increased White cell counts and platelets.
- Acne, Hirsutism, Alopecia, Rash.
- Bony, joint and muscle pains or cramps, Breast pains.
Depo Provera Contraceptive Injection - Contraindications
Depo Provera Contraceptive Injection is contraindicated in patients with the following medical conditions:
- Undiagnosed or suspected pregnancy or unsure periods.
- Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
- Suspected breast cancer or established breast cancer or high risk for breast cancer
- Hypersensitivity or allergy to Medroxyprogesterone acetate or other components in the formula.
- Currently suffering from or being treated for or having a past history of Blood clotting disorders or conditions that predispose to it, such as, thromboembolism, Thrombophlebitis, brain or cerebral stroke, severe uncontrolled high blood pressure.
- Severe Liver disease or deranged liver function tests.
Depot Provera Contraceptive Injection – Precautions
The precautions to be taken when undergoing treatment with Depo Provera shot are as follows:
- Visual disturbances especially those arising out of the retinal vessels, must be medically re-examined prior to use of Depot Provera.
- Possibility of pregnancy and especially an ectopic pregnancy must be recognized in cases of vaginal bleeding with abdominal pain and a positive pregnancy test.
- Users with preexisting medical conditions such as epilepsy seizures, asthma, migraine, cardiac and renal long standing disorders have increased risks of fluid retention.
- A Pap smear is preferable in women at a higher risk for cervical cancer or even otherwise it is beneficial to get it done prior to Depot Provera use.
Depot Provera Birth Control Shot – Interactions
Lab Tests: Depot Provera interferes in the Lab analysis of the following tests.
Plasma or Urinary Steroids: Reduction in levels of Cortisol, estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone.
Plasma or Urinary Gonadotropins: Reductions in levels of LH and FSH.
Metyrapone Test And Glucose Tolerance Test: Values may be affected.
Coagulation Tests: Values for factors II, VII, VIII, IX and X are increased.
Buy Depo-Provera Birth Control Shot 150 mg Online For Only $19 Each
You can buy Depo-Provera Contraceptive shot online from allcontraceptives.com. Depot Provera is supplied in 1 ml vials containing a sterile aqueous suspension of 150 mg/ml. We also supply a needle with the disposable syringe. The cost of Depo Provera is only $19 per unit when you place an order for 15 injections.
There are no Shipping restrictions for this product.